My Journey into the Land of Natural... II.

Toothpaste.

Yeah, call me crazy. I thought I was, too. I was a girl who loved Crest and Colgate, who loved the taste and smell, who never thought twice about the poison control number on the back of the tube. And I had read it, too, but I wasn't under six, so did it matter? It never hit me that kids could get poisoned from swallowing toothpaste. I didn't have any kids, so need I worry? My teeth were clean, and my morning breath was minty. The makings of a good day, right?

Until a lady friend of mine pointed out that, According to research conducted and posted by the National Cancer Prevention Coalition, Crest Tartar Control Toothpaste was the THIRD item on the list of the Top Twelve CANCER – CAUSING Household Products. Nice, right? (If you are curious what other everyday HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS are on this list, click HERE.)

So... what does a person say to that? Honestly! I've been brushing my teeth with that same exact toothpaste for HOW LONG? Years! My whole life! You can bet I was skeptical, and was ready for some real answers... It tasted just fine to me! Though I couldn't get the fact out of my mind that liquids already begin to be absorbed into our bodies through our mouths... Ok. I'd check it out: what ingredient is contained in that tube is so terrible for me? I went digging HERE.

Crest Tartar Control Toothpaste - (Procter & Gamble. Inc.)

Labeled Toxic Ingredients:

FD&C BLUE #1, Carcinogenic.
SACCHARIN, Carcinogenic.
FLUORIDE, Possibly carcinogenic.

Safer Alternative: Tom's of Maine Natural Non-Fluoride Toothpaste

Yeah, But, in case you didn't know, Tom's of Main also contains the poison control warning.

This is gonna be gross, but after learning all this, and without an immediate alternative, I simply stopped brushing my teeth. I rinsed out my mouth with water and ate gum every once in a while. Maybe my dentist wouldn't approve, but, to me, it was better to have stinky breath than cancer breath.

Eventually a real, natural option showed itself, and I took it. My teeth and my peace of mind are grateful for it. Contact me if you'd care to know more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are interested in more detailed information, please contact me...