Walking your way to health!

How many times have we heard, you have to exercise in order to be healthy and maintain a healthy body weight? (If I only had a dollar for every time I heard that one, huh?) Exercise is the heart of health, it seems. But so many of us let it slide because we are too busy, don't have enough time, or quite honestly just can't get motivated enough to do it. But then, how many times have you heard a very active person say they HAVE to exercise - that they are addicted to it and love it? Yeah, have to admit I've never been one of those people, but I aspire to be one! ;-D

I'm not so good at a strict routine. I get bored with it, and want to have the spontaneous excitement of not knowing what I'm going to do from day to day. And I've never been loyal to a treadmill or even walking outside, let alone pay and commit to a gym membership. But I also know the tremendous benefits of physical activity, and love what I feel like after I've exercised. I have more energy and more flexibility - and am proud that I 'worked out' today.

So, I love coming across articles like THIS one, where they rave about the benefits simply of walking. Not even lifting or running or swimming (though I love to swim!). Simply walking. And it doesn't have to be at a gym or work out facility. Just go out in the sunshine and fresh air and take advantage of your neighborhood and local parks! And it's free!

Listen to an iPod, music, talks, or contemplate the glory of God's creation and listen to the birds serenade you as you walk by. Turning your 30 minutes of walking into quiet/meditation time is also very calming and healthy.
"Walking is a wonder exercise. Not only can it can help control weight, it also reduces the risk of developing diabetes, certain cancers, and heart disease. Walking bestows benefits to the brain too, by relieving stress and improving mood. Best of all, walking is free: You don't need fancy equipment or a gym membership to reap the benefits. Here's how to make every step count, no matter how often you hit the pavement."

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are interested in more detailed information, please contact me...